Monday, September 14, 2009

Japanese-styled breakfast

You should try this breakfast if you come to Japan.
I had rice with Furikake on top of it. It is toppings that consist of dried egg, salt, laver and so on.
Natto. Doesn't seem yummy at all? It's okay, not all the Japanese people like it.

About 30% of young Japanese people aged 39 or younger don't have breakfast, and approximately 40% of those who do choose bread for their breakfast. When I was younger it was thought that having bread in the morning was a western-styled cool way of having breakfast, but as a Japanese I prefer rice over bread.

Today I had rice, seaweed soup, and natto for breakfast. Natto is made of soybeans that were fermented, but, due to its smell and taste, even not a few Japanese avoid having it. I used to hate it when I was a kid, but as I grew older Natto became my favorite. I haven't seen anybody from Europe or the US who like to have Natto.