Friday, September 4, 2009

Old-styled house

I took an overall view of this house.
The tea space.
The living room. One can boil water with the kettle in the center.
The earth-floored area which guests or neighbors can enter and leave with their shoes on. You can cook rice with the "Kama" or pot on the stove.


There is a traditional house that was rebuilt in my city. Originally, this house was built in the 18th century (the Edo period) but later restored and moved to the center of my city. Nowadays some Japanese people who are engaged in the farming industry live in a house similar to this, but most of us now live in a modern house that has a western-styled living room, kitchen, and entrance.

Everybody can enter this house free of charge and relax while having some Japanese tea.

Somehow I felt more relaxed being here than in my own house.