Friday, October 23, 2009

Autumn Festival

This festival is held over a weekend in the latter half of October.
A man is baking Takoyaki. To see what it is, look at the posting "Takoyaki"

Many kinds of ham that were made by a shop called "Tsukuba Ham" in my city.

Newly harvested rice called "Koshihikari".

Sweet potatoes. We sometimes put cubes of this in miso soup.

Front row, left to right : Japanese persimmons, Japanese pares, mandarin oranges.

A kid was hitting a Japanese drum. This performance lasted for about 15 minutes.

I had Chinese dumplings for lunch.

...and a steamed pork bun.

Kids were enjoying the goldfish scooping.


I went to an autumn festival the other day that was held on the premises of an agricultural Institute that is a 15 minutes drive from where I live. As I said before there are lots of scientific Institutes in my city and almost every one of them holds an event that is related to their research. For example there is an Institute called JAXA in my city that does research on space exploration, rocket launching and stuff, and people can go in there to see the interior of a model space ship. And this agricultural Institute holds this event annually that has to do with food.

But in fact it is more a cultural festival than a food-related one. People come to this event to have food and see some performances. The things that were sold ranged from shoes to Takoyaki, but they were mainly selling fresh foods that could be only harvested in the fall.

This event is smaller in terms of size than other Japanese festivals, and attracts only people living nearby. However, I look forward to this every year since it is like a festival set aside only for me.