Friday, February 12, 2010

Tayama (Tonkatsu shop)

I went to a restaurant that served "Tonkatsu". Basically it is similar to cutlet, but "Tonkatsu" is made by deep-frying a piece of pork, which is mainly either fillet or loin. Since "Katsu" means "win" in Japanese, it is sometimes had by superstitious people who take, for example, entrance exams. But since the fried pork can't be easily digested, it would be better for you if you have it "after" the exam. 

 
This shop "Tayama" opened recently in my friend's neighborhood. We have several Tonkatsu restaurants in my city, and it seems to me that the competition between them is not so fierce.

  
As I'm a Japanese, I'm used to this kind of interior, but this would seem Japanese-styled in the eyes of foreign people. It is a bit controversial if "Tonkatsu" is really a Japanese dish, but at least we consider it to be Japanese.

  
What differs from cutlet is that "Tonkatsu" is usually sliced in pieces like this before it is served. If you have it at an ordinary Tonkatsu restaurant, it would cost you more than 11 us dollars, but this shop was selling this set for about 8.8 us dollars. Really a bargain. 

  
Tonkatsu is basically accompanied by Miso soup or Tonjiru, which is  a variant of Miso soup that has tiny pieces of pork. And as you know, this one is Miso soup.

  
As I explained in the posting "Hanaya Yohei", this is again "Chawan Mushi". Since it involves much effort to make it, the Japanese mothers won't cook it except on special occasions. 

  
Even though it is a Japanese dish, most people would put Worcester sauce on it. And it is often coupled with shredded cabbage like this. I guess you might have started to wonder if it is really a Japanese dish. 

  
But you if you dip the pieces in ground sesame, you would agree that "Tonkatsu" is eventually Japanese. I think Tonkatsu is one of a few Japanese dishes that would instantly fill your stomach. 

You might think the Tonkatsu each restaurant in Japan serves is not so different, as it is made just by frying, but the Japanese people notice the subtle difference between them. So I think many people would patronize only one Tonkatsu restaurant. However, I haven't seen many Tonkatsu restaurants go out of business. I think it is mainly because they are less expensive than the steak houses in Japan.