Monday, March 29, 2010

Cafe Libro

There is a coffee shop called "Cafe Libro" in a department store in my city. As some of you know, "libro" is a Spanish word that means "book". And you can bring in novels or other books except magazines from a bookstore that is next to the cafe.

This coffee shop has been in business for years, and the price of a coffee is relatively high, so it seems this shop attracts people who wouldn't care much about the pricing. And those who come here are often aged over 30 or so. 

And I brought a Haruki Murakami book called "Kafka on the Shore". I'm a huge fan of the author and am now waiting for a new book called "1Q84 book 3", which is due out on April 16. You can bring in any novel, but you have to bring one as a possible buyer. But who knows if you're going to just read or buy it?
People can look into the interior from the outside of the shop, but the entire floor is usually very quiet and you can concentrate on reading. 

This is a regular coffee. I have to say this coffee's taste is in accordance with the price. About 4 us dollars. And what's more, you can have a refill for about 100 yen. If you don't like to calculate the exchange rate, it might be better if you consider 1 us dollar to be a little short of 100 yen.

What's renowned at this shop is its waffle. I could have had ones with some ice cream on top of them, but I usually like a specialty to be standard. These were hot and crispy.

Some nice coffee shops in Japan have "organic sugar". This doesn't differ from regular sugar in terms of taste, but those who like to avoid chemical substances may prefer this. The white words say, "Yuuki sugar", and "Yuuki" means organic. 

I have to admit I usually don't read. But when a newspaper reports a good book is due out, I buy or borrow it from the library. Such books I read are often written by young authors in their twenties, but I basically think an author is the older the better. And Haruki Murakami, who I respect as the best, is 61 years old.