Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Osaka Oushou(a Ramen shop)

Let me introduce a Ramen shop called "Osaka Oushou". This company has been expanding its business rapidly, and it opened a shop in my city recently. "Gyouza" is a dumpling that has ground chicken, minced onion and what not inside. And as for "Oushou", it is close to the word "king". There is a board game called "Shogi", and it has a king piece called "Oushou" and it's almost equal to the king of chess.  
I was going to come here for dinner, as a bowl of ramen easily fills my stomach, but my friends insisted we should have lunch at this shop on the day. The white words on the facade says, "The renowned fried Gyouza".

This interior wasn't like an ordinary Japanese Ramen shop, and rather, this was more like Chinese. The very origin of Ramen was from China, but it has changed its style the Japanese way for a long time. And people in China, Taiwan also define ours as "the Japanese Ramen". 

Naturally I was expecting the Ramen to be very good, but as the pic of this menu suggests, the main dish it was featuring was "Gyouza". This menu says this shop was established in "the 44th year of the Showa period", which corresponds to 1969. The Showa period is from 1926 to 1989.

I ordered a "Tan Tan Men". I like something spicy very much, and as you can see by the color of this Ramen, it was spicy enough.

We usually put pepper on top of Ramen, but this shop had its original pepper called "The Ramen pepper". It is available on a Japanese website for about 4.6 us dollars.

A plate of Gyouza costs 2.3 us dollars usually, but the flier on your right said it sold one (6 pieces) for 1.7 us dollars on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of a month.

And this is the Gyouza this shop was advertising as the most featured dish. I have to say these Gyouzas were much better for its price than other Ramen shops, which made me think I wanted to try them a second time. 

There are various Ramen shops in my city or nearby, so I want to introduce them one by one in the future. Hopefully I like to show each Ramen in ways you could tell the difference between them. And please savor the difference when you're really in Japan =)