Thursday, May 13, 2010

Karaya (Ramen shop)

I didn't like Ramen so much before, but I've tried several Ramen recently and I showed you some of the Ramen shops I visited. And since Tokyo is the city where you can have the most delicious Ramen, my friend and I decided to have Ramen in Akiahabara. As far as I saw, there were several Ramen shops in Akihabara, so I want to try some of them in the future. 

This Ramen shop is called "Karaya" and can be reached after crossing Chuo Street. To me, the kanji "Kara" reminded me of an old Chinese empire that existed from 7th to 10th century, so I was expecting something Chinese.

There weren't so many to choose from, but in my opinion the less choices a Ramen shop has, the better its taste is. And as I walked around for hours in Akihabara on the day, any Ramen would have tasted better than it was.

There were only 8 or 9 seats for customers, but you know, when the shop can accommodate only a few customers then the chefs would see who are kept waiting, and you wouldn't have to wait so long.

My friend had "Waniku Toushou Men". "Waniku" and "Men" means "Japanese meat" and "noodles" respectively. But I don't know the meaning of "Toushou" even in Japanese, sorry.

And I had "Tan Tan Toushou Men". As I showed in this posting, "Tan Tan Men" is supposed to be very spicy. But I think the taste of this Ramen was similar to a Thai dish called "Tom Yum Goong". I went to Thailand 3 years ago, and as I liked all the dishes there, I really loved this Ramen. And my friend also said his tasted like a dish from Southeast Asia. 

It is very hard to find a very good Ramen shop in my own city, but you could easily find a good one in Tokyo, as each shop is always trying hard to have more customers. And you know, a shop that serves very bad dishes would soon go out of business when there are so many Ramen shops in the area.