Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Trattoria Genova

I'm not sure if I told you this before, but I'm a huge fan of Italian food. Around 2000 or 2001, many Italian restaurants opened in my city, and those places were where people visited often for lunch or dinner. In those days, our economy was stagnant, albeit not so bad as this, but we kept going to those Italian restaurants until 2007 or so, when the Japanese people started to refrain from dining out at expensive restaurants. Instead, people started to prefer cheap restaurants like ones where they serve a 1 dollar-a-dish sushi. But I have to admit I still like Italian food.

I usually don't like restaurants that are in malls, but I think I've tried every Italian restaurant in my city in the past decade. Trying a new restaurant is always exciting for everybody, right?

I ordered a set that has three dishes plus a soft drink. I always wonder why we can't have more salad than this at an Italian restaurant.

As an antipasto, I had this. From left to right: chicken, bean sprouts, and rolled egg. I wish I could explain more about these, but I doubt I could even in Japanese. These were good enough to stimulate my appetite.

This is a pizza that we call Margherita, which is supposed to have basil leaves, Mozzarella cheese, and tomato sauce. I like the pizza of Pizza Hut too, but I sometimes like it plain.

As an additional dish, I had this pizza that had pieces of bacon, some spinach, boiled egg and cheese. I've heard some Japanese chefs are better at cooking Italian dishes than true Italian ones, but honestly I doubt such hearsay.

Of course I had a coffee after the meal. I have to say this iced coffee was much like ones served at an Internet cafe. I tend to compliment food served at any restaurant, but since I'm a coffee maniac, let me be straightforward. I could have had a better coffee at Doutor....